Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Potty Break

I think an appropriate topic for today will be toilets. Yes folks I said it, toilets. Here in the U.S. most of us have toilets that are much alike, but every once in a while you get an odd duck. Nothing that I have seen here though compares to the toilets in Japan though. Some of them really were so cool but others,well you would have to have some leg strength to get up from.

Admittedly it took me a second to get into this bathroom. It was a sliding door and I was retarded and thought it wasn't haha. I loved the signs for men's and lady's bathrooms they were really pretty lol. This was just at a sushi place. So you didn't see like this everywhere.







I don't know why I didn't take pictures of all the toilets I saw and that may sound weird but there were so many different ones. Also the stalls were way different. For example in the bathrooms of the airports the stalls were actually large enough for you to be able to bring your bags into them...unlike most of the ones in the state that I have been in. Also a lot of the stalls are widely set apart here, as in you can basically see right through them...awkward. In Japan though the stalls are really tightly put together and have gaurd strips so that there are no cracks when you close the door.
This whole Restroom was covered in Gold leaf. Only thing not covered in it was the actual toilet. I felt like Indiana Jones.
This my friends is the infamous squatting toilet. This picture shows our first encounter with one, but there were many yet to follow. I actually ended up really liking them because you don't touch anything. You don't have to worry about who's butt you are sitting after. My host mom didn't like them because you do have to have some leg strength to get up from it, but for me that wasn't a big deal. The only thing that I didn't like about it was when I was feeling sick and had to throw up, and the only place to do it was in a squatting toilet, and that was in a Baskin Robins.

This is from thejapanguy.com
 There were also many western toilets. When you flush it the top part, with the sink, comes on as well. I'm guessing that it is only so you can rinse your hands, because there is always another sink with soap outside of where the actual toilet is. It took me a while to get brave enough to use the squirty thing that they have attached to it called a bidget. You can also adjust the temperature and the pressure of the water. My host mom had to warn me not to jump up when I finally got the nerve to use it...I almost did anyways.
The last toilet that I had actually wanted to see while staying there I finally found a day or two before I flew home. In public places they were having problems with people flushing the toilet to many times, so that no one would hear their potty business, so there were buttons installed to were you can hit different ones to make different sounds. Especially the flushing sound. Clever clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment