Friday, November 25, 2011

DDR

I was finally able to go to my dance class on Wednesday. Something had always come up to where I was unable to go... like having water behind my ear and feeling vertigo everytime I moved. I forgot how much I loved to dance! The dance I do most often is called Zouk, or Zouk Lambada. It originated in Brazil and somehow found its way to Knoxville, TN. Sadly it is only really found on the East coast of the U.S. As I was trying to think of a topic for this entry I thought about my love for dance and the night that it finally hit me that I really really was in Japan.
I was lucky enough to be over there during their huge dance festival. It's a day just full of dancing! Awesome costumes, silly moves, heart pounding music! Even older ladies dressed up as rock and roll Elvis girls dancing to different rock and roll classics. The day started out great. As soon as we were out of school we hit the streets and were immediately swamped by groups of people that later performed at that night's parade. That was so fun to see them during the day!
Next we happened upon a stage performance of different dancers, most bad...one good haha. Actually the first two were so painful to watch! The last girl was way good and kept winking at Alex teehee he was to shy to say hi though. See if you can tell who is awesome and who is not.

 These girls were right on the border of horrible and could do better...way better. My favorite part was that they were dancing to really risque American songs but all the little old Obaasans were just nodding along and smiling and their were little kids dancing around too. I was pretty mortified.

Now these girls were my favorite...mainly cuz Alex, Sarah, Victor and I were all waiting to see which one of us would bust out laughing first. Was even a part of the song when the lyrics said, " I just don't understand" and Alex and I at the same said," No I just don't understand" lol. BTW both of them had G strings showin.Classy.
Obviously this girl was amazing! I mean I was super jealous. Mainly of her pants...but still it was awesome to watch her. If I were the other girls I would have just been embarrassed.
Well anyways, the day went on and we all went our separate ways so that we could eat. One awesome thing about being in japan was that I didn't have a cell phone to bother with. One horrible thing was that I didn't have a cell phone to bother with, cuz we never found each other after we split. The festival was on the main street that runs through the city. It was set up sort of like the Macy's Day parade, where they stop and perform, move on, and stop again. Being there for that really made me feel like I was really in Japan, because when you fly over there the airplane windows are up, so you just feel like you are suddenly there. It also didn't help that the scenery is just like East Tennessee when it comes to trees being everywhere. Seeing all the of the people dressed up though...there are no words to really describe that feeling that I had. It was overwhelming.




No comments:

Post a Comment